The Operator Lifecycle Manager project is a component of the Operator Framework, an open source toolkit to manage Kubernetes native applications, called Operators, in an effective, automated, and scalable way.
The OLM extends Kubernetes to provide a declarative way to install, manage, and upgrade operators and their dependencies in a cluster, & also enforces some constraints on the components it manages in order to ensure a good user experience.
OLM enables users to:
- Define applications as a single Kubernetes resource that encapsulates requirements and metadata.
- Install applications automatically with dependency resolution or manually with nothing but kubectl.
- Upgrade applications automatically with different approval policies.
It consists of the following objects:
- Subscription, InstallPlan, CatalogSource, ClusterServiceVersion
- Service Account:
- olm-operator, catalog-operator, package-server