Terms of Service
Linux Academy – Educational Server Instances Terms of Service
The use of services from or the subscription to The Linux Academy by Pinehead.tv™
Account Access Limitations
Linux Academy may revoke your access to Linux Academy if you violate, or assist others in violating, the license limitations set forth below. You agree that you will not, in whole or in part or under any circumstances, do the following:
- Derivative Works: Copy or reproduce translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on or related to the Linux Academy.
- Bots: i.e. any code and/or software, not expressly authorized by Linux Academy, that allows the automated control of Linux Academy and/or any component or feature thereof.
- Hacks: i.e. accessing or modifying the software of Linux Academy in any manner, not expressly authorized by Linux Academy; and/or
- Any code and/or software, not expressly authorized by Linux Academy, that can be used in connection with the Linux Academy system (e.g. software designed to bypass the video encryption of Linux Academy training videos).
- Disruption: Disrupt or assist in the disruption of (i) any computer used to support Linux Academy or any lab environment; or (ii) any other student’s learning experience.
- ANY ATTEMPT BY YOU TO DISRUPT LINUX ACADEMY OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF ANY TRAINING RESOURCES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS.
- Violation of Laws: Use Linux Academy, to violate any applicable law or regulation.
- Assignment and Re-assignment of Accounts:
FOR INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNTS: Only you are allowed to access an account assigned to you. Your account is registered in your name using your email address as the Username. An account is assigned to one, named user, for the entire account, subscription period and cannot be shared.
FOR TEAM ACCOUNTS: Licenses may be reassigned to other users in the organization if the original user is no longer in need of the license. Any license may be re-assigned by a Team or Organization Administrator to a different user for the remainder of your organization’s account subscription period. However, licenses cannot be assigned using generic Email Addresses, Usernames, or Login/User ID’s, e.g., “email@example.com”, “Building_A_5th Floor” or “Dev_Team_1”, etc.
Educational Server Instances [hereafter referred to as “Cloud Servers”] can be used for learning purposes during the period of time the user maintains an active subscription to the Linux Academy site.
During the period of time that the user maintains an active subscription to Linux Academy, the following activities are expressly forbidden:
- Reselling access to the Cloud Server(s)
- Providing any third party utility, server or application that is not in direct relation to the courses available on Linux Academy
- Using the Cloud Server as a mail sender
- Providing web, database or forum access on or through Cloud Server(s)
- Deploying or using an internet proxy server
- Use or access in or from ANY commercial production environment under any circumstances
- Download or distribution of site source code
- Distribution of any Linux Academy downloadable material (including course notes)
Backup and Data Loss
Use of these Cloud Server(s) is at the sole risk of the end user. Linux Academy provides no backup facility or process for backing up user files. Linux Academy is not responsible for files and/or data that may reside on these servers. The subscriber assumes all responsibility for the backup of files and data stored within each instance.
As these Cloud Servers are not intended to be used in any commercial or production environment, Linux Academy does not offer any guarantees regarding uptime, availability or stability. Use of these servers is at the sole risk of the end user and Linux Academy shall not be held liable for their use or contents.
Anything that is done or originates from a Cloud Server is the sole responsibility of the account holder and Linux Academy will not provide any legal protection or indemnification for any activity that would be illegal in any state, country or province. Additionally, Linux Academy will take immediate steps to remediate reported issues that originate from any Cloud Server, up to and including any of the following:
- Shutting off the service causing the issue
- Removing the application causing the issue
- Shutting down the server instance
- Disabling the user account responsible for the instance
An active Linux Academy subscription does not entitle the end user to Cloud Server use if it has been determined that it has been abused. Determination of abuse is at the sole discretion of Linux Academy and can be made at any time for any reason, whether outlined specifically in this agreement or otherwise.
An active Linux Monthly Recurring Billing: Accounts, will be billed on a monthly basis under this plan. The accounts can be canceled at anytime and will remain active for the duration of the subscription and a prorated refund will not be issued.
An active Linux Quarterly Recurring Billing: Accounts, will be billed on a quarterly basis under this plan. The accounts can be canceled at anytime and will remain active for the duration of the subscription and a prorated refund will not be issued.
An active Linux Semi-annual Recurring Billing: Accounts, will be billed on a semi-annual basis under this plan. The accounts can be canceled at anytime and will remain active for the duration of the subscription and a prorated refund will not be issued.
An active Linux Annual Recurring Billing: Accounts, will be billed on a yearly basis under this plan. The accounts can be canceled at anytime and will remain active for the duration of the subscription and a prorated refund will not be issued.
PAYMENTS ARE NONREFUNDABLE AND THERE ARE NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS FOR PARTIALLY USED PERIODS.
You must cancel your membership before it renews in order to avoid billing of the next month’s membership fees to your Payment Method.
When a cancellation request is received and processed, your account will remain active for the duration of the paid period, prorated refunds are not issued.
Trial Accounts will automatically upgrade to the subscription chosen during account creation after the trial period. Cancel your account during the trial period and owe nothing. There are no refunds once the trial ends.
ANY DISTRIBUTION OF DOWNLOADED CONTENT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
Linux Academy provides unlimited access to all courses as well as streaming course content. Unlimited access to the Cloud Server is provided as long as you are using it for lab purposes while using the academy. Downloadable MP3s are based off the age of your subscription. In your first month of subscribing you will receive 15 available downloads. After your first month, for each day you are a member, the number of available downloads increase. If your account is three months old you can download 45 MP3s each month. The age of a canceled account that is reactivated is reset to the reactivation date.
If it is determined that a student has violated these Terms of Service, their account may be canceled immediately and no refunds will be issued.
Data Protection and Retention
Linux Academy strives to protect all of our student and user data at all times. We only collect and store data that is necessary to supply our products and services. We only do this with the explicit, written consent of our customers.
By accessing or using the Sites in any manner, you also agree to be bound by Linux Academy’s Terms of Service (the “Agreement”). Please read the Agreement carefully. If you do not accept all of the terms and conditions contained in or incorporated by reference into the Agreement, please do not use the Sites.
Last Updated: October 11, 2018