Skip to main content
abrindell

4 years ago

Passed CSA Exam Today and it was REALLY hard

This exam was WAY harder than I imagined. I barely passed. My reaction to the first question was "you've GOT to be kidding me!" and the hits just kept on coming.

The best way to explain this is to say that the majority of the exam was scenario-related questions and not too many simple one-liners. Also, where they were asking about something where the question was leading to an obvious answer, the "obvious" wording was not within the multiple choice distractors.

I'm not going to give my actual weighted value scores but will share the order in which I scored best to worst.
Implementation/Deployment: Best, then...
Troubleshooting, then...
Security, then finally...
Designing highly available, cost efficient, fault tolerant, scalable systems - hardest section.

I used LinuxAcademy.com (and will continue to use), took an Instructor-led Architecting AWS course, read SOME of the white papers, scoured the 'net looking for any and all help I could.

The LA CSA Final Exam test was helpful but the actual exam had what seemed to be an added level of depth to understanding the correct answer / choice.

Happy to answer any questions if it may help. Good luck to those about to sit.

Image of
4 years ago
Congratulations on the certification!
Image of ellejaclyn
ellejaclyn
4 years ago
Congratulations, Alec!
Image of jwt1
jwt1
4 years ago
I've taken two of the AWS exams and so far my experience is that if you're not familiar with a lot of minutia inside of the AWS platform, then you're likely to just scrape by.I think It's usually pretty easy to rule out half of the available answers if you just use the LA study materials, books, and lectures, but Amazon does a brilliant job of leaving you with at least two answers that require you to know details about the platform (details that really only come from repeated use) to confidently select a final answer.On the plus side, that sort of minutia rarely comes up in interviews, and I've never heard of anyone demanding to see certification test results. So congrats on passing.
Image of christophelimpalair
christophelimpalair
4 years ago
Congrats, Alec!
Image of stephen
stephen
4 years ago
Great job Alec!