Skip to main content
idyllrain

4 years ago

Passed AWS CSA - Associate

Here's the breakdown of my scores:

Overall Score: 83%

1.0 Designing highly available, cost efficient, fault tolerant, scalable systems : 84%
2.0 Implementation/Deployment: 66%
3.0 Security: 81%
4.0 Troubleshooting: 100%

Most of the questions I received had to do with ELB, VPC subnets, backup and encryption questions. I wasn't as prepared to answer questions on deploying AWS Workspaces, OpsWorks, Route 53 Alias record intricacies, and the couple of IAM identity federation questions.

Before starting the AWS CSA - Associate course 3 weeks ago, I have zero hands-on AWS experience. I also have no prior experience working with cloud-based architecture/deployment; however I do have some development experience.

To prepare for the exam, I followed the Linux Academy course doing the labs multiple times. I also printed out the FAQs for key services (EC2, IAM, VPC, RDS, S3, EBS, Route 53, CloudWatch), read, and made notes. I found that the FAQs and LinuxAcademy videos are a lot more useful than the whitepapers. I would suggest to always double check limits stated in the older whitepapers as they can be incorrect (e.g. Storage Options whitepaper says Glacier individual archives are limited to 4TB, but they are 40TB now).

The practice quizzes found online and on Quizlet aren't very helpful and just ended up making me confused as the given answers can be incorrect. All in all, I spent about 2 hours a day on the weekdays and 4 hours each on the weekends studying.

Next up will be tackling the AWS Certified Developer - Associate exam.

Image of idyllrain
idyllrain
4 years ago
To add on since I cannot edit my post (can we get post edit functionality?): Most of the multiple-choice questions I encountered had two obvious incorrect answers, and two plausible answers.
Image of gigthat
gigthat
4 years ago
Awesome J. Well Done!!
Image of ellejaclyn
ellejaclyn
4 years ago
Congratulations, J! Thank you for sharing your experience.
Image of christophelimpalair
christophelimpalair
4 years ago
J, congratulations on passing. That's pretty impressive considering you had no prior AWS experience 3 weeks before the exam!
Image of stephen
stephen
4 years ago
Congrats J!
Image of klack
klack
4 years ago
Nice job J!
Image of adeelabbasi
adeelabbasi
4 years ago
Awesome & congratulation - today is my second day on AWS course and i already start loving the videos.!