Skip to main content
gaaneshh

9 months ago

Problem in doing a ssh to a private instance from bastion host

I came across this issue when i was working on a lab-exercise. I am sure i have provided access to SG's NACL's and other configuration setting as well looks good. 

The issue that i see is only when i do a ssh to a private instance froma Bastion host. I was just prompted with the below error. 

Any suggestion or help on this woule really be  great. Thanks Again

[ec2-user@ip-10-0-1-175 ~]$ ssh ec2-user@10.0.4.27
Permission denied (publickey).

Image of ermin
ermin
9 months ago

Try it like this "ssh -i /path/to/the/key/file  ec2-user@10.0.4.27" maybe you are using a  wrong key file.

Image of adriancantrill
adriancantrill
9 months ago
Is this the lesson where you SSH from your machine into the bastion and then form that into the private instance? If so, are you running macOS/Linux? did you SSH into the bastion with '-A'? if you are running windows you need a few bits of config - check this link. You need the agent installed, and your key loaded into that, and then set putty to forward the auth. All explained in the link below.

https://www.howtogeek.com/125364/how-to-ssh-hop-with-key-forwarding-from-windows/

/Adrian
Image of gaaneshh
gaaneshh
9 months ago
Thanks   @adriancantrill    @ermin  for your inputs on this. Followed by this, i had a  similar practise lab to ssh from a bastion host to a private instance(connecting db instances). 

In this practise lab i had plenty of time left to play aorund and i identified what the problem was. Its the pem key that it is looking for in the bastion host. I somehow managed to ftp the pem key and connected (ssh'd)to the private instance from the Bastion host and that worked the way as expected.

Thanks again!!