Skip to main content
dbmathis

1 year ago

Yum Install Fails for Audacity

RHCSA: Hands-on Lab: Installing and Updating Software: Yum Install Fails

Followed the lab exactly. Got the following error doing a yum install of audacity. What is causing this? Thanks.

ip-10-0-0-10.ec2.internal

Error: Package: audacity-2.1.1-1.el7.x86_64 (epel)

Requires: libid3tag.so.0()(64bit)

You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Image of jhill
jhill
1 year ago
Seems you may need to install libid3tag  which can be done via RPM. A link to the correct binary if you can't find it in terminal can be found at 

https://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libid3tag.so.0()(64bit) 

Image of dbmathis
dbmathis
1 year ago
Thanks. Yes. But is this a bug with the repo or yum or what? I thought yum took care of dependencies.
Image of thebruce
thebruce
1 year ago
Hello!

Well, YUM does the best that it can, however there are times where you run into this situation. There are some packages (Like libs) which are "assumed" to be in your system and up-to-date. They are not listed inside the RPM as a dependency because they should already exist. What is typically listed as a dependency are the optional packages one could install on their machine.

Hope this clears things up a bit!

Brandon
Image of dbmathis
dbmathis
1 year ago
 @thebruce thanks.

This was a LA lab server where yum reported the issue. Does this mean that the lab server is broken (libs that should be installed are not)? We're paying for a certain standard here at LA and it doesn't instill confidence when a LA video instructs me to do something on LA lab server, and the lab server is missing stuff that should be installed. It's not just missing, but missing in a way that's difficult to understand and to correct. I installed the application with no problem on my personal Linux machines.
Image of wildway
wildway
10 months ago

In that lab is nothing tells abount installing "audacity", only about searching package and displayning package & repo information. 

Althought it was an intresting quest.

I downloaded & installed "libid3tag" via Jordan's Hill link.

After that I had this problem:

Error downloading packages:

libxml++-2.37.1-1.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

However, on my pc I succefully downloaded libxml++.rpm, and found another mirror.

Then I downloaded libxml++.rpm from a mirror via wget on LA server and install it via "yum localinstall", for installing dependencies.

Only after that I succefully installed audacity.

Image of efuentes
efuentes
3 months ago

For another students to know:

[root@ip-10-0-1-75 ~]# yum localinstall libxml++.rpm

Loaded plugins: amazon-id, product-id, rhui-lb, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager

This system is not registered with an entitlement server. You can use subscription-manager to register.

Cannot open: libxml++.rpm. Skipping.

Nothing to do

[root@ip-10-0-1-75 ~]#

OR

[root@ip-10-0-1-75 ~]# yum install libxml++.rpm

Loaded plugins: amazon-id, product-id, rhui-lb, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager

This system is not registered with an entitlement server. You can use subscription-manager to register.

No package libxml++.rpm available.

Error: Nothing to do

[root@ip-10-0-1-75 ~]#