Skip to main content
blanco750

1 year ago

Passed AWS Developer Associate June 2018 Exam

Hello ,

Just want to share that  I passed my AWS CDA-june 2018 exam on 5th September . I got an OK score.
My score is 775/1000  with Section 5.0: Monitoring and Troubleshooting  mentioned as "Needs Improvement". As you may be aware that the passing score is 720 and In this exam they haven,t given the detailed score breakdown on sections  basis . In my AWS SA associate exam which I sat few months back I got that break down. 
However as you might see above ,now  they tell the section where One might  need improvement (or may have underperformed )

First of all I would like to Thank LA  and especially Fernanado for a great course and good content and I think mostly topics are covered well.Labs are great too .

Now some general feedback.

The most important factor in tackling the exam is whether you are from SW delopmnet background or not . If you are SW engineer or working in SW related job for few years you might find the course relatively (or may be quite easy depending on how good you are)
I have electronics Engineering/Telecoms/cisco background and to be honest I found the course/certification overall a bit tough. For example what an API is doesn't make sense to me that easily. I have to dig a bit deep and try to make sense of the things .So your background may decide the amount of effort required to go though this course/exam.

This brings me to the exam itself. I found the exam really tough and I think tough it was.Of course not being from developer background may have a little part in that but still I would say the new June 2018 exam is much tougher than the old version and people getting 96% and 98 % won't be happening that much now as was the case in old exam:) Probabaly the biggest reason is that they have made this exam scenarios based mostly and probabaly to tackle the exam better having on job experience might give an edge (which I dont have in AWS)

Now briefly about how I prepared , Watched the course videos twice , done quizzes 2-3 times , read 50-60 percent of recommended white papers , done end of course mock exam 3-4 times , prepared loads and loads of flash cards so that I could just revise those on last day, done the three exams on whizlabs . All that combined to give me a better chance to tackle the exam.
Note : WhizLabs exams helped me in a sense that their questions made me read additional aws documnetation so I would say it added a little bit to my prepartion.
Also did the AWS 20 questions practice test (Actual exam was much tougher in terms of difficulty level)

I would recommned following to  fellow students to prepare better especially who are not from SW/Developer background
1) if you have time , dig a bit deeper on lambda functions ,API Gateways, Dynamo DB and cloudformation. (LA have few deep dive courses on Lambda and cloudformation)
2) Dig deep on security .Know the encryption for every supported service and   how its implemented . At rest and in transit. Don't ignore it
3) Don't just scratch the surface .For example for XRAY , its just not enough to know that its Application performance management tool . Try to dig deep and know how would you set it up to use, what steps are must to make XRAY work etc. etc  .Same applies to all services .Think everything from a dveloper perspective.
4) Read FAQs in AWS documentataion , it supplements a bit to better understanding 
5) Repeat course labs 2-3 times and try to spend extra time  navigating the console so that you know what  different sections are there for each service  and what is configured where . For example where are ENV variables for Lambda and why would you use them etc. 
6) Monitoring with cloudwatch and using Xray is very important . Know the important metrics. For example Lambda integration with cloudwatch etc. I underperformed in this section as per the exam report

Finally one suggestion for LA/Fernanado . If possible, and if it makes sense, please add troubleshooting section expecially for important services e.g. Lambda and API Gateways . Being developer how would you use AWS services like cloudwatch with these services .

Thanks,

Babar 

Image of adriancantrill
adriancantrill
1 year ago
Nice job!!! and thanks for the notes.
Image of mchristian
mchristian
1 year ago
Well done, thanks for the feedback!
Image of ermin
ermin
1 year ago
Way to go! Thank you so much for the feedback.
Image of aschae
aschae
1 year ago
AWeSome job, Babar!  Thank you for sharing your feedback!
Image of craiga
craiga
1 year ago
Congrats! Great feedback!
Image of jlowerynyc
jlowerynyc
1 year ago
Best news of the day, Babar! Appreciate the report and your thoughts - congratulations!
Image of amy
amy
1 year ago
Nice job!
Image of mspearson
mspearson
1 year ago
Congratulations!
Image of mmcclaren
mmcclaren
1 year ago
Thanks for the feedback and great job!
Image of dougriggs
dougriggs
1 year ago
We're so happy for your success.  I join my other team members in thanking you for the feedback!
Image of keiththomps
keiththomps
1 year ago
Congrats and thanks for the detailed write-up!
Image of tiaaw
tiaaw
1 year ago
Great job!  Congrats.
Image of bpalmer
bpalmer
1 year ago
Congratulations!
Image of davidcoy
davidcoy
1 year ago
Excellent job, Babar!
Image of ellmarquez
ellmarquez
1 year ago
Great job. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. 
Image of bsalmans
bsalmans
1 year ago
Great job Babar. Thank you for all the informative feedback!
Image of mayoung8
mayoung8
1 year ago
Well done! Great feedback too.
Image of justinmitchell
justinmitchell
1 year ago
Well done, Babar! Thanks for the feedback as well!
Image of tthomsen
tthomsen
1 year ago

Great job Babar!

Image of seang
seang
1 year ago
Hooray
Image of koufax
koufax
1 year ago
Congratulations, Babar! And thank you so much for your extensive feedback. :)
Image of wboyd
wboyd
1 year ago
Great work!!
Image of johnnawallace
johnnawallace
1 year ago
Nice job, Babar!  Thank you for the thoughtful feedback.
Image of khawton
khawton
1 year ago
AWSome work, Babar! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your feedback and experience!
Image of trilliams
trilliams
1 year ago
Congrats, Babar!
Image of pzona
pzona
1 year ago
Congratulations Babar! And thanks for sharing your feedback, this is all very helpful!
Image of javh7117
javh7117
1 year ago
Great job Babar!
Image of
1 year ago
Congratulations and thanks for the very detailed feedback and advice!
Image of scoldham
scoldham
1 year ago
Nicely done, Babar!
Image of kennyarmstrong
kennyarmstrong
1 year ago
Good job, Babar!
Image of robmarti
robmarti
1 year ago
Well done and great, thorough, feedback!
Image of efrick
efrick
1 year ago
Nice job, congrats and thanks for the feedback!
Image of anthony
anthony
1 year ago

Congratulations Babar!

I’d love to endorse/recommend you on LinkedIn if you want. All you have to do is add me as a connection and add Linux Academy as your school. Once you do that, post a picture of your cert about passing in your feed and reference me within the original post. Once I see this, I’ll be able to recommend you for your hard work on your LinkedIn profile.

Thanks,

Anthony

Founder/CEO LinuxAcademy.com 

Image of mheydt
mheydt
1 year ago
Congrats!
Image of ingrid
ingrid
1 year ago

Congratulations Babar! We are proud to be part of your journey and appreciate your feedback, it is very valuable to us and the LA community! 

Image of ellejaclyn
ellejaclyn
1 year ago
Congratulations, Babar! And thank you for the feedback!