Skip to main content
abebutel

1 year ago

Passed AWS CSA-a and SysOps Admin exams

Hello All.

While I have some experience in IT support roles (from helpdesk to Sys Admin) for the last 7 years I was running a low-tech company.  A couple of months ago I decided to leave my job and get back to IT.  I knew I'd have to refresh my skills or learn new ones and after briefly considered Cyber Security (even got the Security+ cert) I settled on cloud computing.
First of all, I can't believe I knew nothing about AWS up until about a month ago.  But ever since I started with my first course here on LA, I've been like a kid in a candy store.  So after finishing the Solution Architect course (  @braun0  - thank you), I rushed to take the old exam.  BIG mistake - I failed!  Looking back on it, I wasn't fully prepared and I found the test to be more difficult then the second time around.  After failing, a friend recommended that I try another learning site.  I did and found the course there to be a bit more updated.  Additionally, I used Whizlab tests (2018 version) and researched every wrong answer I got on the practice exams.
Second time around I took the 2018 version of the test and passed!!  While I found the exam to be easier, I was also much better prepared.
Upon passing, I thought that my Sys Admin experience will help me towards passing the SysOps Admin exam.  While that wasn't the case, having just completed the CSA course and exam definitely did help.  Again, I took the course both here and on the other site but this time found the material here more helpful (thank you  @trenthayes )  .  Again, I used Whizlabs - found exams 1&2 as mostly a waste of time while the other exams were better.  So 8 days after passing the CSA exam, I sat for and passed the SysOps Admin exam.
I also took the practice exams for each - found the CSA one to be good but the SysOps one was a waste (to me).

Study the material - don't just memorize it.
Visit the community and try to answer other people's questions - there's no better way to prove to yourself that you fully understand the material.
Read the questions carefully - often times you'll be able to eliminate 2 out of 4 choices easily.
Don't let failure ever discourage you.  Learn from it and use it as motivation to do better the next time around.

Good luck to all.

Abe

Image of seang
seang
1 year ago
Awesome job! Thanks for sharing your story
Image of ellmarquez
ellmarquez
1 year ago
Thanks so much for sharing your story, Well done!
Image of braun0
braun0
1 year ago
Awesome! 
Image of adebayo98
adebayo98
1 year ago
Well done and congratulation

Image of pzona
pzona
1 year ago
Nice work Abe! Thanks for your feedback - I agree, you really need to study and understand the material (not just memorize it) to succeed. Sounds like you've found a learning method that works for you, congrats again on your new certs :)
Image of craiga
craiga
1 year ago
Great job, Abe!
Image of mayoung8
mayoung8
1 year ago
Thanks for your feedback and congrats!
Image of bpalmer
bpalmer
1 year ago
Thank you for the feedback awesome job!
Image of jerryw23
jerryw23
1 year ago
Congrats! 
Image of ellejaclyn
ellejaclyn
1 year ago
Phenominal work, Abe! Congrats!
Image of davidcoy
davidcoy
1 year ago
Congrats, Abe!
Image of mshaw
mshaw
1 year ago
Excellent Job Abe!
Image of amy
amy
1 year ago
Well done!
Image of khawton
khawton
1 year ago
AWSome job, Abe, and congratulations! Thank you for sharing your feedback and experience!
Image of
1 year ago
Way to go!
Image of drumpat01
drumpat01
1 year ago
WAY TO GO!
Image of tiaaw
tiaaw
1 year ago
Great job!  Congrats.
Image of garyttt8
garyttt8
1 year ago
Great job and thanks for sharing.
Image of kennyarmstrong
kennyarmstrong
1 year ago
Well done!
Image of wboyd
wboyd
1 year ago
Great work!
Image of tthomsen
tthomsen
1 year ago

You nailed it!

Image of mspearson
mspearson
1 year ago
Great information! Congratulations!!
Image of trilliams
trilliams
1 year ago
Congrats, Abe!
Image of scotttravis
scotttravis
1 year ago
This is terrific advice, Abe! And great dedictation.

"Visit the community and try to answer other people's questions - there's no better way to prove to yourself that you fully understand the material"

"Don't let failure ever discourage you. Learn from it and use it as motivation to do better the next time around."

I love this!

Congrats on passing, and thanks again for dropping some wisdom :-D

Image of davisengeler
davisengeler
1 year ago
Great work, Abe. Thank you for sharing a little bit of your story and advice with us.
Image of andru
andru
1 year ago
Awesome job, Abe. We always appreciate when students provide their insights from their journies.
Image of anthony
anthony
1 year ago

Congratulations Abe!

I’d love to endorse/recommend you on LinkedIn if you want. All you have to do is add me as a connection and add Linux Academy as your school. Once you do that, post a picture of your cert about passing in your feed and reference me within the original post. Once I see this, I’ll be able to recommend you for your hard work on your LinkedIn profile.

Thanks,

Anthony

Founder/CEO LinuxAcademy.com 

Image of shirleymartin
shirleymartin
1 year ago
Perseverence pays off!  Thank you for sharing your experience.  It is so valuable for others to see this.  And many congrats to you!