Skip to main content
emack529

1 year ago

Passed my AWS Certified Developer Course.

Hello Everyone,

Today, I passed my AWS Certified Developer exam. I completed it in only 33 minutes! This was by far the easiest exam I have taken, and it completes 4 AWS certifications in 4 months.

First, here is my feed back on the Developer Exam (I gave feedback on the Solutions Architect and Sysops in earlier posts). This exam had only 1 calculation for write capacity for DynamoDB. The questions were pretty simple. If you have passed the Solutions Architect or Sysops, all you really need to do to pass this exam is to Study DynamoDB, CloudFormation, dig into some details on SQS and SNS and you're good to go. No to be clear: I took the old exam. I know someone who works at AWS who has told me that the NEW Developer exam is said to be the hardest of all the Associate exams. In my preperation for the exam I took, I watch the videos on DynamoDB, CloudFormation, dig into some details on SQS and SNS in the Linux Academy course... I didn't go through the other sections. HOWEVER, there is a LOT of good material in there, that I do intend to go back through. And remember, the Linux Academy Developer Course is set to prepare you for the harder new exam. If you are going to take the new exam, make sure you carefully go through the whole course. If you take the old exam, at some point still go back... just to sharpen your knowledge.

Next, my feedback on the Associate exams as a whole. Below are the exams, what I scored and how long I prepared for them:
AWS Cloud Practitioner: 5 weeks recieved 86%
AWS Solutions Architect 2 Months 77%
AWS Sysops Administrator 4 weeks 91%
AWS Developer 8 days 94%

I honestly feel like the solutions architect is the hardest, though many say the Sysops is the hardest of the associate exams. I think the Sysops' domains that are covered on the exam are more focused, allowing you to really dig in and master those concepts. On the other hand, I think the Solution Architect is more broad and spread out, you're not really sure what will be on the exam. 

My next goal before any other certifications is to get a job in the field. I will be working on my resume, go through several of the labs again until I can do them without notes or following along in the videos. I would caution others to do the same. Passing an exam is one thing, but if many of these labs are not second nature to you, then you could become what they call a paper architect... one that can pass exams, but not have any real knowledge on how to do the job, even at base levels.

All that said, I'm not saying goodbye to Linux Academy. I will drill down on labs I've done and labs I skipped, and even consider some of the deep dive courses into certain AWS services. I'd like to thank Linux Academy for great course materials and for stepping up to provide training for the new AWS exams that are out there. I don't think any other training services have courses for the new solutions architect and developer exams. 

I would also encourage other students out there, every journey begins with a first step... nobody ever finished something that they never started... and nobody ever finished a race without effort. When I started four months ago, I decided, I would spend minimum of 1 hour a night studying. Sometimes you just have to push yourself and say... Just do it!

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Philippians 4:13

Image of sgutierrez1124
sgutierrez1124
1 year ago
Congrats, Errol and thank you so much for the detailed feedback!
Image of seang
seang
1 year ago
Well done! That is a fast exam!
Image of stephen
stephen
1 year ago
Awesome job on the pass, congrats!
Image of
1 year ago
Great scores, thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations!
Image of adriancantrill
adriancantrill
1 year ago
Great job Errol - very interesting to hear your comments regarding SA associate v's SysOps associate. It's a matter of personal skillset as well i think - a lot of people conceptually find architecture easier than the nuts and bolts of implementation. The same discussion happens at the PRO level - SA Pro vs DevOps.
Image of amy
amy
1 year ago
Way to go!
Image of craiga
craiga
1 year ago
Congrats, Errol! And wow, great feedback!
Image of trent
trent
1 year ago
Great Job, Errol!!
Image of thomask
thomask
1 year ago
Errol, I believe you will enjoy this passage,

"Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it."

(Habakkuk 2:2, NKJV)

Awesome job, keep moving.

Image of ellejaclyn
ellejaclyn
1 year ago
Phenominal work, Errol! And thank you for the detailed write-up!
Image of davidcoy
davidcoy
1 year ago
Congats, Errol!
Image of bpalmer
bpalmer
1 year ago
Way to go!! CONGRATS!
Image of kennyarmstrong
kennyarmstrong
1 year ago
Good job, Errol!
Image of mspearson
mspearson
1 year ago
Great work! Congratulations!!
Image of tiaaw
tiaaw
1 year ago
Great job! Congrats.
Image of jerryw23
jerryw23
1 year ago
Congrats Errol!
Image of keiththomps
keiththomps
1 year ago
Congrats Errol! I appreciate the scripture also :)
Image of tthomsen
tthomsen
1 year ago

Keep it up Errol!

Image of fernandomc
fernandomc
1 year ago
Nice work Errol! Congrats on passing and nice progress on those four certs! Good luck on number 5 whenever you get around to it! :D
Image of mayoung8
mayoung8
1 year ago
Way to go!
Image of wboyd
wboyd
1 year ago
Congrats!!
Image of khawton
khawton
1 year ago
AWSome job, Errol!!! Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback. Congratulations!!!
Image of scotttravis
scotttravis
1 year ago
This is fantastic feedback! This is wonderful for all the students, but it's also so useful for us as we work to track and enhance our courses, and to know just where they are helping students and where they aren't. Congratulations on number 4 (holy cow, 4 in 4 months is an achievement!) Celebrate this, you've achieved a lot, Errol!
Image of braun0
braun0
1 year ago
Woohoo!  Congrats on passing the exam!  Also, thanks for all the great feedback.
Image of trilliams
trilliams
1 year ago
Way to go, Errol!
Image of abaliem
abaliem
1 year ago
Nice job, Errol! With a mindset like yours, you will do great things!!
Image of jamesh-00127635
jamesh-00127635
1 year ago
Well done Errol! We love having you here in the community!
Image of donna1596
donna1596
1 year ago
Great to hear, keep up the awesome work!
Image of pzona
pzona
1 year ago
Great work Errol!!
Image of klewis
klewis
1 year ago
Kudos to you, Errol. Great scripture reference.
Image of drumpat01
drumpat01
1 year ago
Congrats!
Image of scoldham
scoldham
1 year ago
Impressive!  Happy for you, Errol!
Image of latrejas
latrejas
1 year ago
Impressive work! And great feedback about the exams.
Image of aschae
aschae
1 year ago
Congratulations, Errol!  Thank you for your feedback and good luck in your job search!
Image of davisengeler
davisengeler
1 year ago
Great job Errol! I bet you'll find a position in the industry pretty quickly. Keep us posted for sure! Good luck.
Image of anthony
anthony
1 year ago

Congratulations Errol!

I’d love to endorse/recommend you on LinkedIn if you want. All you have to do is add me as a connection and add Linux Academy as your school. Once you do that, post a picture of your cert about passing in your feed and reference me within the original post. Once I see this, I’ll be able to recommend you for your hard work on your LinkedIn profile.

Thanks,

Anthony

Founder/CEO LinuxAcademy.com

Image of ellmarquez
ellmarquez
1 year ago

Hi Errol, Thanks for taking the time to provide such in-depth feedback, we truly appreciate it! It's amazing to hear that you refer to the AWS Certified Developer Course as the easiest exam you have taken. I think that speaks volumes about how well you have prepared. Congratulations!