Skip to main content
codevision

2 years ago

Passed AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate (2018)

Its actually already two weeks ago, but I passed the AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate (2018) exam.

Did the new one on a whim, figuring it would be helpful to look into the well architected framework anyway.

Mostly used Certified Solutions Architect - Associate course on LA and the AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide to prepare.  Did have a brief look into ACloudGuru as well because they do cover the well architected framework in their course, but didnt really look into the rest of their content. Personally I found the delivery a bit dry and much rather preferred the hands on approach (labs & interactive diagrams) over here at LA, but to each his own.

The actual exam was completely multiple choice (i.e. pick one), I didn't get any multiple select questions (i.e. pick multiple). All the questions were scenario based, things like: we've build an application X, composed out of resources a, b and c; what will be the most likely bottleneck if we end up growing fast. There weren't really any 'fact questions' (e.g. what's the limit for X), but some facts were part of the scenario's (e.g. our application has a througput of XXX MB/s which storage solution would fit best.). I didn't actually get any questions which were (to my knowledge) directly related to the well architected framework (indirectly they sort of are, but that's just because the well architected framework is basically a collection of best practices grouped together by subject in a few documents).

The CSA -A course at LA as it currently stands lacks content in some areas for the new exam (at least the exam I got). My exam required a bit broader knowledge on Redshift, the new EBS storage types (Throughput-Optimized HDD and Cold HDD), advanced S3 topics (e.g. performance best practices and signed urls) and ECS for example.

Overall if your only source of knowledge is the LA course I would recommend taking the old exam, at least until the LA CSA-A course is updated (I'd guess that'll be somewhere in the coming 2 months).

If you work with AWS on a regular basis (especially when working with a broad range of services) I think you should be ok for the new exam.

I ended up with a score of 966, so I'm quite happy with that. On to the next one! Which should be CDA - 2018 which seems to be recently available, so that should go well with the new course :)

Anyhow, thanks LA (and in particular @braun0 ) for the CSA -A course!

Image of amy
amy
2 years ago
Congrats and thanks for the feedback!
Image of seang
seang
2 years ago
Keep up the good work! Thanks for the thorough review!
Image of keiththomps
keiththomps
2 years ago
Great job Michel
Image of drumpat01
drumpat01
2 years ago
Congrats!!
Image of wayde
wayde
2 years ago
Congratulations on passing the new exam!
Image of acostanzo
acostanzo
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of koufax
koufax
2 years ago
Thanks for the in-depth review and congratulations on passing the CSA, Michel! Best of luck on CDA 2018.
Image of abaliem
abaliem
2 years ago
Awesome work, Michel! Congrats and good luck on CDA-2018!
Image of tthomsen
tthomsen
2 years ago

Nice going Michel!

Image of braun0
braun0
2 years ago
Woohoo!  Congrats, Michel!
Image of jlowerynyc
jlowerynyc
2 years ago
Thanks for all the feedback Michel - and congratulations!
Image of sgutierrez1124
sgutierrez1124
2 years ago
Great job, Michel!
Image of twillied
twillied
2 years ago
Congratulations
Image of davidcoy
davidcoy
2 years ago
Congrats, Michel!
Image of scoldham
scoldham
2 years ago
That's great!  Congrats Michel!
Image of ellejaclyn
ellejaclyn
2 years ago
Amazing job, Michel! And thank you for the feedback about your experience.
Image of pzona
pzona
2 years ago
Congrats, Michel! And thank you for the detailed exam tips!
Image of trent
trent
2 years ago
Nice work, Michael! Thanks for the feedback.
Image of latrejas
latrejas
2 years ago
Congrats, @codevision ! Thanks for the detailed feedback about your exam and the course. It definitely helps us learn too.
Image of andru
andru
2 years ago
Way to go! We appreciate the feedback as well!
Image of kennyarmstrong
kennyarmstrong
2 years ago
Congratulations, Michel!
Image of mayoung8
mayoung8
2 years ago
Great job!
Image of wboyd
wboyd
2 years ago
Great work, Michel!
Image of sowhelmed
sowhelmed
2 years ago
Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed feedback! And congrats on passing the exam!
Image of robmarti
robmarti
2 years ago
Congrats on the results and thanks for the amazing feedback!
Image of fernandomc
fernandomc
2 years ago
Awesome work! Congrats! Also thank you for the great feedback! It really helps us plan what improvements and changes to make in the future!
Image of khawton
khawton
2 years ago
Amazing job! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience!
Image of trilliams
trilliams
2 years ago
Congrats, Michel!
Image of efrick
efrick
2 years ago
Congrats, nice job!
Image of anthony
anthony
2 years ago

Congratulations Michel!

I’d love to endorse/recommend you on LinkedIn if you want. All you have to do is add me as a connection and add Linux Academy as your school. Once you do that, post a picture of your cert about passing in your feed and reference me within the original post. Once I see this, I’ll be able to recommend you for your hard work on your LinkedIn profile.

Thanks,

Anthony

Founder/CEO LinuxAcademy.com | CloudAssessments.com

Image of aschae
aschae
2 years ago
Nice score, Michel!  Congratulations!
Image of klewis
klewis
2 years ago
Great job, Michel!
Image of markrichman
markrichman
2 years ago
Well done!

Image of sifteali
sifteali
2 years ago
Keep it up! Congrats in your success and thanks for great input!
Image of shyamsundarrss
shyamsundarrss
2 years ago
Congrats!!
Image of donna1596
donna1596
1 year ago
Nice job!
Image of efrick
efrick
1 year ago
Congrats nice job!