Skip to main content
jimripper

2 years ago

Passed the AWS CSA - Associate Exam

I finally passed the Solutions Architect Associate exam.  It was much harder than I thought it would be and I did worse on it than I thought I did.  This was my second attempt at the exam (my first attempt was December 2015, so I've been a little gunshy in taking it again until I thought I was ready). I definitely could not have passed the exam without the great course that was given by Thomas Haslett.  Having the pictorial refences in Project Orion was also very helpful in understanding networking and how all of the pieces in AWS fit together.  Not having a networking background really hindered me, but along the way, I picked up a lot of networking knowledge as a result of LinuxAcademy's excellent instruction.

Just for context, when I failed the exam in 2015, my test score was 49%.  This time it was 60%.  I would have thought that wasn't enough to pass, but I understand that AWS used propietary algorithms to determine the test score and so another person's 60% may not be enough to pass.

The one thing that would have improved my test score would have been to do more hands-on playing around in AWS  but without any guidance.  Walking through the hands-on lab in the course was very helpful, but I found that I didn't really pay attention to the specific drop downs and why I was clicking the buttons that Thomas was directing me to do.  This was all on me, and I wish I had done that for at least a month prior to the exam.

Other than the LinuxAcademy training course and practice exams, another thing that helped me was the AWS CSA Architect Official Study Guide put out by Amazon.  In that book, each chapter has a lab section where it tells you what to do, but doesn't give you all of the steps to do it.  I should have spent more time on those labs to really cement my understanding of the AWS platform.  I did think that the exams in each chapter (and on-line at Sybex - links are given in the book) was also worthwhile.

I am now working on the Certified SysOps examination.  I'll let you know when I pass that  :-).

Image of amy
amy
2 years ago
Well done and good luck on the next one!
Image of seang
seang
2 years ago
Hooray !
Image of keiththomps
keiththomps
2 years ago
Way to give this exam another shot. Congrats on the pass.
Image of drumpat01
drumpat01
2 years ago
Congrats!!
Image of wayde
wayde
2 years ago
Great job!
Image of koufax
koufax
2 years ago
So happy for you, Jim! Best of luck on the SysOps exam!
Image of tthomsen
tthomsen
2 years ago

Hats off to you Jim!

Image of braun0
braun0
2 years ago
Awesome!  Congrats, Jim - and thanks for the great recap.
Image of twillied
twillied
2 years ago
Thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations.  I'm currently studying for the same exam.
Image of jlowerynyc
jlowerynyc
2 years ago
Thanks for all the great feedback - and congratulations, Jim!
Image of sgutierrez1124
sgutierrez1124
2 years ago
Well done, Jim!
Image of davidcoy
davidcoy
2 years ago
Congrats, Jim!
Image of ellejaclyn
ellejaclyn
2 years ago
Great work, Jim! Thank you for sharing your experience -- getting hands-on is so important.
Image of scoldham
scoldham
2 years ago
I have found that hands on experience is always the best teacher.  Glad you passed!
Image of pzona
pzona
2 years ago
Congrats, Jim! Totally agree that hands-on is a great way to learn, and that's something we want to continue to focus on building. Best of luck on your SysOps exam!
Image of latrejas
latrejas
2 years ago
Great work! Glad you found the diagrams useful, I agree with you that it is a nice way to understand the architecture and material.
Image of kennyarmstrong
kennyarmstrong
2 years ago
Well done, and excellent feedback!
Image of mayoung8
mayoung8
2 years ago
Nice work!
Image of wboyd
wboyd
2 years ago
Congratulations!!
Image of robmarti
robmarti
2 years ago
Good job passing the exam and good luck on your next one!
Image of tthomsen
tthomsen
2 years ago
Great job Jim!
Image of fernandomc
fernandomc
2 years ago
It's a tough exam! Great job on passing and good luck on the SysOps exam!
Image of khawton
khawton
2 years ago
Congratulations and best of luck on SysOps next!
Image of trilliams
trilliams
2 years ago
Congratulations!
Image of acostanzo
acostanzo
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of efrick
efrick
2 years ago
Congrats, nice job!
Image of anthony
anthony
2 years ago

Congratulations Jim!

I’d love to endorse/recommend you on LinkedIn if you want. All you have to do is add me as a connection and add Linux Academy as your school. Once you do that, post a picture of your cert about passing in your feed and reference me within the original post. Once I see this, I’ll be able to recommend you for your hard work on your LinkedIn profile.

Thanks,

Anthony

Founder/CEO LinuxAcademy.com | CloudAssessments.com

Image of aschae
aschae
2 years ago
Jim, you did it!  Congratulations and good luck on the next exam!
Image of klewis
klewis
2 years ago
Very impressive. Keep up the good work.
Image of shyamsundarrss
shyamsundarrss
2 years ago
Congrats!!
Image of sowhelmed
sowhelmed
2 years ago
Congrats on passing! Also, that's some great feedback on non-guided labs! :)

Image of here2learnaws
here2learnaws
2 years ago

What a great story you have presented here and clearly something that we can all  gain helpful insight from. I will be getting the AWS CSA Architect Official Study Guide and taking your advice about the non-guided labs so thank you for sharing that. Your persistance paid off and I am extremely happy for your accomplishment and quite proud of you! High five!!!

Image of davisengeler
davisengeler
2 years ago
Your perseverance paid off! That's so great to hear. Thank you for your extra tips, too. Keep at it!
Image of donna1596
donna1596
2 years ago
Way to stick with it.  Keep up your hard work and good luck moving foward...you can do it!!
Image of craiga
craiga
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of here2learnaws
here2learnaws
2 years ago
No one likes to fail an exam and it certainly is not a good feeling. I think the most important lesson we can all learn from your story is do not ever give or quit! Your persistance shows not only that you are not a quitter, but that no matter what happens you will persist and overcome what most would perceive as failure. Failure is success turned inside out and you obvisouly learned from this experience and were able to move on and get right back up and try again. Your story can be used as an inspiration to all those who are in doubt of their abilities and I want to say to you great job in following through and not giving up!!