Skip to main content
exup

2 years ago

Passed Linux Essentials, first step on the ladder I hope

So I joined LA about 3 weeks ago, took the test and got 37/40 so quite happy. So whats next, I am thinking Linux Foundation Cert Sys Admin over the RHCSA. I am told they are the same except one is focused on RH and the other is Linux agnostic. Interested to know peoples thoughts. Long term my goal is to move into Linux cloud adminstration.

Image of latrejas
latrejas
2 years ago
Great work! And an auspicious start!
Image of davidcoy
davidcoy
2 years ago
Excellent job!
Image of pzona
pzona
2 years ago
Nice work, congratulations!
Image of mattulasien
mattulasien
2 years ago
Awesome dude. Linux Essentials is a great first step indeed, especially for jumping into cloud platforms.
Image of wayde
wayde
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of andru
andru
2 years ago
Woohoo! Congrats! I don't think you could go wrong with either direction, but that is just my two cents.
Image of tressisson
tressisson
2 years ago
Congratulations!  Sounds like you are on your way to some great certs!
Image of wboyd
wboyd
2 years ago
Congrats!!
Image of natekoehler
natekoehler
2 years ago
Very cool, great work!
Image of ellejaclyn
ellejaclyn
2 years ago
Awesome job! Congratulations!
Image of
2 years ago
Way to go!
Image of ktadlock
ktadlock
2 years ago
Congratulations!!  What's your timeline for your long term goal?
Image of amy
amy
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of acostanzo
acostanzo
2 years ago
Way to go!
Image of efrick
efrick
2 years ago
Great work keep going!
Image of klewis
klewis
2 years ago
Very impressive. Congrats!

Image of davidcoy
davidcoy
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of rbeytell
rbeytell
2 years ago
Congrats.  I agree with Andru, either direction will work for you.
Image of sgutierrez1124
sgutierrez1124
2 years ago
Great job!
Image of drumpat01
drumpat01
2 years ago
Congrats!!
Image of lanigat2
lanigat2
2 years ago
Good job on passing Linux Essentials and welcome to the wonderful world of Linux.

Linux Foundation Certified Sysadmin and Red Hat Certified System Administrator are similar in some respects but differ in a number of others.

Both exam sets are live exams asking you to complete a range of tasks on virtual systems with the expectation that any configurations you make will be functional after a reboot. They also both permit you to complete the task in any way you choose, using whichever tools you prefer.

The Red Hat curriculum is based entirely on RHEL 7 at present, as you'll see by looking the courses here. Linux Academy does provide Red Hat virtual machines for you to practice on but you will need a physical machine to learn some skills. You can get a copy of RHEL by purchasing it (for instance a student licence) or signing up to the Red Hat Developers forum (https://developers.redhat.com/) where you can acquire developer versions of a lot of Red Hat tools and software.

You could alternatively use CentOS, a non-commercial re-implementation of RHEL 7 with all the Red Hat trademarks replaced. It's almost identical in most other respects.

If you go for the Linux Foundation track, you will have a choice of CentOS, Ubuntu or Opensuse and will be examined on virtual machines of the one you specify when booking the exam. There are subtle distinctions between each of these but the exam content will ask you to accomplish the same tasks using your chosen toolset.

With Red Hat, you take your exams at a registered exam centre, however with Linux Foundation, you can take the exam pretty much anywhere you can find a quiet room with an internet connection. You'll need a webcam and microphone and you'll have to show the examiner the layout of your room.

The other alternative is to continue on the LPI track where the exams are similar in style to the Essentials exam. If you are going this route, taking the CompTIA Linux+ exams will also grant you the LPIC1 certification, as they are the same exam set designed by LPI. These exams are based on both Debian and Red Hat and you must cover the differences in both.

I have friends and colleagues who have taken and succeeded in developing interesting careers with all of these tracks, many of whom have used courses and tools on Linux Academy.

Best of luck :)

Image of exup
exup
2 years ago
Thanks for the advice, I honeslty did not realise you have to pay for RHEL, I thought you just paid for the support and the distro was free. So I learned something new there. I like the idea of the practical exams so may stick with the LFCS exam.
Image of scoldham
scoldham
2 years ago
Sounds like you are off to a good start.  Red Hat and CentOS, Red Hat's free alternative, are popular distributions with many copmanies.  One thing I like about the Red Hat tests is that they are entriely practicle.  There are no questions, there are simply tasks to be completed on a live system.

To Thom's point, you can get a bit of a broader exposure to the linux world with the LPI exams and they cover good material.

You can be successful with either track.  Good luck with your studies!
Image of kennyarmstrong
kennyarmstrong
2 years ago
Congratulations on the pass!  To be honest, I like both exam series.  The practicality of the RH exams are fantastic, but the deeper knowledge that the LPI exams get into is great.
Image of johnnawallace
johnnawallace
2 years ago
KEEP GOING!!  Way to go!
Image of tthomsen
tthomsen
2 years ago

You rock!

Image of seang
seang
2 years ago
What a rockstar !
Image of shirleymartin
shirleymartin
2 years ago
Thank you for sharing this with us and congrats.  On to the next challenge!
Image of donna1596
donna1596
2 years ago
Great job!  Best of luck with your future learning and goals!!
Image of mayoung8
mayoung8
2 years ago
Great work!
Image of efrick
efrick
2 years ago
Congrats nice job!