nrwahl

2 years ago

Passed EX407: RHCoE in Ansible Automation

I passed my RHCoE in Ansible Automation yesterday with a 286/300. It was much easier than I expected, covering only pretty basic scenarios in my opinion. (I'm not sure what I missed, since I tested everything before I left. Some questions were worded rather vaguely, so potentially a misunderstanding.)

My preparation was a little bit unorthodox. I took three Linux Academy courses: the quick start, Using Ansible for Configuration Management and Deployments, and the certification prep course. Combined, these formed a very solid, well-rounded basis in using and configuring Ansible. I do not have much hands-on experience from using it at my job, since we use Puppet for most configuration management. However, I found a bug in an Ansible module one day and decided to try to fix it upstream. My pull request was merged that evening, and I spent the next two or three weeks working on bug fixes on GitHub and diving into the Python code that runs Ansible -- as well as providing support on issues that turned out not to be bugs. Since Ansible is an open-source project, anyone with a Python background can benefit from contributing to it. It's probably overkill and unnecessary for most examinees, but for me it was a great substitute for my lack of hands-on work experience using Ansible. And of course, the courses here prepared me enough to know what I was doing in contributing.

I'll try to answer questions, but I have to remain pretty tight-lipped due to the NDA.

Image of
2 years ago
Way to go and thanks for sharing your experience and advice. Congratulations on your certification!
Image of anthony
anthony
2 years ago

Congrats! Thank you for your insights into this exam.

I’d love to endorse/recommend you on LinkedIn if you want. All you have to do is add me as a connection and add Linux Academy as your school. Once you do that, post a picture of your cert about passing in your feed and reference me within the original post. Once I see this, I’ll be able to recommend you for your hard work on your LinkedIn profile.

Thanks,

Anthony

Founder/CEO LinuxAcademy.com | CloudAssessments.com

Image of nrwahl
nrwahl
2 years ago
Thanks, guys, and will do.

One thing I will note for fellow students: On my exam, they provided all the documentation I could possibly need and then some. This came as a surprise to me since there's no Internet access. I'd say don't worry so much about memorizing everything, and focus on becoming familiar with everything Ansible can do and where to find it on docs.ansible.com if you need a refresher. (Just like you would in real life.) The man pages are pretty sparse and `ansible-doc` only shows modules. The really good stuff is only on the docs site.
Image of RachelCraft
RachelCraft
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of JonMyer
JonMyer
2 years ago
Awesome Job!
Image of trent
trent
2 years ago
Nice work!
Image of chadrm
chadrm
2 years ago
Congratulations, Reid!
Image of thor
thor
2 years ago
Fantastic Reid!
Image of ellejaclyn
ellejaclyn
2 years ago
Amazing work, Reid!
Image of davidcoy
davidcoy
2 years ago
Congrats, Reid!
Image of whpierce
whpierce
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of seang
seang
2 years ago
Congrats and nice work on contributing to Ansible!
Image of dougvdotcom
dougvdotcom
2 years ago
Awesome score, Reid! Congratulations and thanks for your story. Giving back and learning, that's amazing!
Image of khawton
khawton
2 years ago
Congrats, Reid!
Image of shirleymartin
shirleymartin
2 years ago
Awesome and amazing.  Congrats to you!
Image of amy
amy
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of trilliams
trilliams
2 years ago
Way to go!
Image of dawnoverstreet
dawnoverstreet
2 years ago
Thank you, Reid! And Congratulations!!
Image of querucha
querucha
2 years ago
Congrats, Reid! Thank you so much for sharing your strategy with us. Ansible is next certification on my list and I will try to follow your path. 
Image of donna1596
donna1596
2 years ago
Nice work, Reid!  Glad you were successful with our resources.
Image of scotttravis
scotttravis
2 years ago
Wow, that's actually pretty cool! And yeah, for me, debugging is always the fastest way to learn a new system. Congrats on passing the exam!
Image of mgayle
mgayle
2 years ago
Congrats on passing, thanks for sharing your preperation.
Image of shirleymartin
shirleymartin
2 years ago

Congratulations and thank you for choosing Linux Academy!

Image of linlinas
linlinas
2 years ago

I'm taking the exam on 27/11/17. Could anyone advice me are there any tricky questions and what should I pay attention to ?

Image of labnomm
labnomm
2 years ago
I'm taking the exam next week, could you specify if ansible-doc that is on-line is available during the exam?
Image of braun0
braun0
2 years ago
Awesome!  Congrats, Reid!
Image of kennyarmstrong
kennyarmstrong
2 years ago
Good job, Reid!
Image of fernandomc
fernandomc
2 years ago
That's a great score! Congrats, Reid!
Image of removed
removed
2 years ago
Congratz!
may i know if the docs.ansible.com is accesible during exam ?
Image of nrwahl
nrwahl
2 years ago
 @bennykusman  The documentation you need will be provided.