nrwahl

2 years ago

Passed the PPT-204 Puppet Certified Professional exam

Thank you LinuxAcademy for the quality prep!  I passed with 85%. The knowledge I gained while studying is already paying off at work, where the config management folks are overstretched and can really use the help. I've been able to jump in and start doing cleanup and support.

There were a few areas of opportunity in the course here, most of which have been mentioned by other users. The ones that come to mind are virtual resources, MCollective, PuppetDB, custom/external facts (limited coverage), cert extensions, and environments (particularly environment precedence and best practices for setting them). There was also  a bit of best practices material that tripped me up where there was no *wrong* answer. I'll also remark that it's hard to study for a scenario like, hypothetically, "Here's something you should never do -- but if you were to do it, would it fail to compile or throw warning A, B, or C?" It implies a history of trial and error with bad practices. This course teaches good practices, so I haven't run into as many of those scenarios as an experienced professional would have.

Now I'm ready to continue my Ansible journey and round out my automation knowledge.

EDIT: As other have remarked before, rilindo on GitHub has a fantastic study guide that references the relevant docs for each exam objective. I crammed using it the night and morning before the exam. The course was a great guide to Puppet, but it's hard to say if I would have passed or not without this supplementation. Check it out! 

https://github.com/rilindo/Puppet-Professional-Certification-Study-Guide

Image of nrwahl
nrwahl
2 years ago
Image of nrwahl
nrwahl
2 years ago
Image of tthomsen
tthomsen
2 years ago
Congrats Reid! I'm glad you found the material helpful.
Image of trilliams
trilliams
2 years ago
Congratulations Reid! 
Image of
2 years ago
Congratulations!
Image of chadrm
chadrm
2 years ago
Congratulations, Reid!
Image of brandon423
brandon423
2 years ago
Great job, Reid! That's a tough test.
Image of hunterferrell
hunterferrell
2 years ago
Awesome!!! Thanks for the kind words as well! 
Image of amy
amy
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of RachelCraft
RachelCraft
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of trent
trent
2 years ago
Nice work!
Image of JonMyer
JonMyer
2 years ago
Awesome Job!
Image of ellejaclyn
ellejaclyn
2 years ago
Great work, Reid!
Image of seang
seang
2 years ago
Congrats!
Image of angyely
angyely
2 years ago
Thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations!
Image of davidcoy
davidcoy
2 years ago
Congrats, Reid!
Image of braun0
braun0
2 years ago
Woohoo!  Congrats, Reid!
Image of skarim
skarim
2 years ago
Way to go!!