Linux+ Certified

I passed the LX0-103 and LX0-104 yesterday!
  • post-author-pic
    Anthony J
    06-17-2016

Congrats!

• post-author-pic
    Danny
    06-17-2016

Wow, both in one day?? That's awesome! Have a great weekend!

• post-author-pic
    Elle K
    06-17-2016

Great job, Taz!

• post-author-pic
    Frederick F
    06-17-2016

Taz - I just joined LA today and I'm studying for the Linux+ exam. Can you share what your level of knowledge of Linux was prior to the class and the amount of time in weeks to study for both of your exams?

• post-author-pic
    Thomas H
    06-17-2016

Well done, Taz. Congrats on the new certs!

• post-author-pic
    David S
    06-17-2016

Congrats!

• post-author-pic
    Terrence C
    06-17-2016

Congratulations!

• post-author-pic
    Taz B
    06-17-2016

Thank you all. I excited to have achieved this milestone. I put in a lot of work and now hopefully this will make me more marketable and I have go out for some Linux jobs now. I think more woman like myself should follow this track. It is such an exciting time to be in Linux!

• post-author-pic
    Taz B
    06-17-2016

Fredrick, to answer your question, I have really only been involved in Linux for a couple of years. I decided to get the certification in order to support my position that I am able to by a linux administrator at least at the junior level. Also, it shows my commitment to it all. I actually studying a total of 2 months for the exam. I used LinuxAcademy obviously which was instrumental. I also used the Pearson Vue Linux+ 103/104 book. I dedicated a month to the videos and a month to the book. I broke both down by hours and chapters. I studied 8 hours every Saturday and then 3 hours a night M-F. I took off on Sunday and enjoyed my time with family and friends.

I am now moving on to the RHCSA Video course. Wish me luck!

• post-author-pic
    Darius C
    06-18-2016

Congratulations Taz! Your level of dedication is really inspiring especially when I consider my attention span is incredibly short ( I'm sure there are 1st graders who can focus longer than me)

• post-author-pic
    Yugandhar S
    06-18-2016

Congrats Taz!

• post-author-pic
    Matthew C
    06-18-2016

Congratulations Taz! I am doing about the same schedule to study for my 101 and 102 exams. I get most of the concepts really easy, most of my time has been studying the commands. I hope to get to the 103 and 104 by the end of the year. Can't wait to get where you are at. Good luck in RHCSA!

• post-author-pic
    Taz B
    06-18-2016

Thanks Matthew. The 101 and 102 exams are still around? I thought they expired. Hmmm...shows what I know...lol. There are some new concepts such as systemd, lvm, and targets. If there is anyone out there who would like to put together a virtual meetup study group, let me know to prepare for the RHCSA, contact me at tonyb33@gmail.com. We can use LinuxAcademy of course and meet to go over what we learned for that week to reinforce what we are learning. We don't have to live in the same place. Good to all who are preparing to take exams!

• post-author-pic
    David P
    06-18-2016

Congrats Taz. Best of luck in your pursuit of your RHCSA certification.

• post-author-pic
    Neil G
    06-18-2016

awesome! congratulations!

• post-author-pic
    Muyiwa I
    06-18-2016

Congratulations Taz! I'm sure you'll do great in RHCSA as well

• post-author-pic
    James H
    06-18-2016

Congrats!!

• post-author-pic
    Kirk V
    06-19-2016

Well done. You study eight hours a day on Saturdays? It's hard to sit down for eight minutes...

• post-author-pic
    James R
    06-19-2016

Congrats. Taking mine this week.

• post-author-pic
    Taz B
    06-19-2016

Kirk:

I don't sit down for 8 hours straight. I use the pomodoro technique and I take 10 minute breaks every 25 minutes. But yes, it does total 8 hours for this day. I make a commitment of 23 hours per week. I have to increase my time on Saturday as I work during the week and only commit 2 to 3 hours during the week. Putting in the time is a requirement and you have to just get in there and get it done and think about the finish line.

• post-author-pic
    Oded S
    06-20-2016

Wow, Well done Taz. i'm learning now Linux essentials and it give inspiration. Can you provide more recomendation for learning?

• post-author-pic
    Andrew B
    06-23-2016

Congratulations! I can't wait to say the same. Well done!

• post-author-pic
    Andrew B
    06-23-2016

Congratulations! I can't wait to say the same. Well done!

• post-author-pic
    Joseph M
    06-23-2016

Congratulations! You're on your way $$$$ ;)

• post-author-pic
    Taz B
    06-25-2016

Somethings I can recommend for studying beyond LinuxAcademy would be dedication, which is a must because spending hours and hours studying and be a lonely experience, but you must keep that finish line in sight at all times and never let anyone tell you that you spend too much time studying. I can tell you that it pays off. Last week, I was offered a position as a Linux Administrator with a large company. The technical interview, I mashed. I would not have been offered this role without having received my certifications. This company I am going to work for provides paid FastTrack Training for the RHCSA and RHCE. Not only do I get to use LinuxAcademy, but I get additional training and it's paid for. The company is committed to training it's employees. I am very luck. The Michael Jang 7th edition RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Guide, along with the Sander Van Vugt book will be useful for the Linux+ as well as the RHCSA. I also am using index cards and a poster board to track objectives and check them off as I go. Good luck to everyone. Happy Studying!

• post-author-pic
    Rolston H
    06-29-2016

Hi Guys,
    Firstly, very well done to Taz on his fantastic achievement. I think his idea of a study group would be awesome and I would love to join one for the LPIC1.

In answer to Frederick's question, and I am only doing this because he sounds like someone with no Linux experience and a bit worried. I am an IT Tech of 12 years but I have absolutely no Linux experience whatsoever. I joined LA in March and started with the Linux Essentials, as introduction to Linux, which I passed at the end of May. I am just about to finish the coursework for the LPIC1-1 (not sure if it is 101 or 103) & I plan to take my exam very shortly.

I work during the day and study 3 hours every evening after work. I find that because virtually everything is new to me that I take very detailed notes and I follow along with the examples using either the lab servers, VirtualBox machines or my RPi Linux installs. I generally takes me about 3x times the video length to get through some of the more complicated concepts i.e. a one hour video might take me three hours to get through. However, it does vary. I usually take a break at the weekends but that isn't as nice as it sounds as I am currently going through the SQL Primer course & a BASH scripting course too but, as you can imagine, the weekends are a lot less full on as i too have family commitments.

Using this schedule, I get through 28-30 hours of video in a month & then I spend three weeks to a month revising what I have learned, going through the examples again, learning popular options/flags and it is at this time that I go through the exercises and the quizzes at the end of each section. I use those as part of my revision.

I was very scared of booking my Essentials exam so I let that slip a bit but I am going to book my LPIC1-103 exam for the end of July, I'm being very strict with myself going forward. I find that this works for me but of course you have to find something that works for you. I do not use any other training materials apart from LA & I passed my Essentials easily. I have never worked on a production Linux machine in my life, everything I know about Linux I have learned from LA & I am actually looking forward to my LPIC exams.

So I would suggest that you do not worry, go through the videos, they are all you need, and enjoy it. I don't actually think that you can go wrong with the LA content.

• post-author-pic
    Taz B
    06-29-2016

Rolston, you keep referring to me as a him. I have a her. I am a female. I know that is a surprise, but I am.

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More