July Release Confetti
150+ New Courses, Hands‑On Labs, And
Interactive Learning Activities
Learn More

Passed EX407: RHCoE in Ansible Automation

I passed my RHCoE in Ansible Automation yesterday with a 286/300. It was much easier than I expected, covering only pretty basic scenarios in my opinion. (I'm not sure what I missed, since I tested everything before I left. Some questions were worded rather vaguely, so potentially a misunderstanding.)

My preparation was a little bit unorthodox. I took three Linux Academy courses: the quick start, Using Ansible for Configuration Management and Deployments, and the certification prep course. Combined, these formed a very solid, well-rounded basis in using and configuring Ansible. I do not have much hands-on experience from using it at my job, since we use Puppet for most configuration management. However, I found a bug in an Ansible module one day and decided to try to fix it upstream. My pull request was merged that evening, and I spent the next two or three weeks working on bug fixes on GitHub and diving into the Python code that runs Ansible -- as well as providing support on issues that turned out not to be bugs. Since Ansible is an open-source project, anyone with a Python background can benefit from contributing to it. It's probably overkill and unnecessary for most examinees, but for me it was a great substitute for my lack of hands-on work experience using Ansible. And of course, the courses here prepared me enough to know what I was doing in contributing.

I'll try to answer questions, but I have to remain pretty tight-lipped due to the NDA.

• post-author-pic
    Terrence C
    09-15-2017

Way to go and thanks for sharing your experience and advice. Congratulations on your certification!

• post-author-pic
    Anthony J
    09-15-2017

Congrats! Thank you for your insights into this exam.

I’d love to endorse/recommend you on LinkedIn if you want. All you have to do is add me as a connection and add Linux Academy as your school. Once you do that, post a picture of your cert about passing in your feed and reference me within the original post. Once I see this, I’ll be able to recommend you for your hard work on your LinkedIn profile.

Thanks,

Anthony

Founder/CEO LinuxAcademy.com | CloudAssessments.com

• post-author-pic
    Reid W
    09-15-2017

Thanks, guys, and will do.

One thing I will note for fellow students: On my exam, they provided all the documentation I could possibly need and then some. This came as a surprise to me since there's no Internet access. I'd say don't worry so much about memorizing everything, and focus on becoming familiar with everything Ansible can do and where to find it on docs.ansible.com if you need a refresher. (Just like you would in real life.) The man pages are pretty sparse and `ansible-doc` only shows modules. The really good stuff is only on the docs site.

• post-author-pic
    Rachel C
    09-15-2017

Congrats!

• post-author-pic
    Jon M
    09-15-2017

Awesome Job!

• post-author-pic
    Trent H
    09-15-2017

Nice work!

• post-author-pic
    Chad M
    09-15-2017

Congratulations, Reid!

• post-author-pic
    Peter T
    09-15-2017

Fantastic Reid!

• post-author-pic
    Elle K
    09-15-2017

Amazing work, Reid!

• post-author-pic
    David C
    09-15-2017

Congrats, Reid!

• post-author-pic
    Bill P
    09-15-2017

Congrats!

• post-author-pic
    Sean G
    09-15-2017

Congrats and nice work on contributing to Ansible!

• post-author-pic
    Doug V
    09-15-2017

Awesome score, Reid! Congratulations and thanks for your story. Giving back and learning, that's amazing!

• post-author-pic
    Kim H
    09-15-2017

Congrats, Reid!

• post-author-pic
    Shirley M
    09-15-2017

Awesome and amazing.  Congrats to you!

• post-author-pic
    Amy M
    09-16-2017

Congrats!

• post-author-pic
    Treva W
    09-18-2017

Way to go!

• post-author-pic
    Dawn O
    09-18-2017

Thank you, Reid! And Congratulations!!

• post-author-pic
    Raquel C
    09-19-2017

Congrats, Reid! Thank you so much for sharing your strategy with us. Ansible is next certification on my list and I will try to follow your path. 

• post-author-pic
    Donna J
    09-20-2017

Nice work, Reid!  Glad you were successful with our resources.

• post-author-pic
    Scott T
    09-20-2017

Wow, that's actually pretty cool! And yeah, for me, debugging is always the fastest way to learn a new system. Congrats on passing the exam!

• post-author-pic
    Marlon G
    10-09-2017

Congrats on passing, thanks for sharing your preperation.

• post-author-pic
    Shirley M
    10-11-2017

Congratulations and thank you for choosing Linux Academy!

• post-author-pic
    Radek L
    11-18-2017

I'm taking the exam on 27/11/17. Could anyone advice me are there any tricky questions and what should I pay attention to ?

• post-author-pic
    Marta
    12-14-2017

I'm taking the exam next week, could you specify if ansible-doc that is on-line is available during the exam?

• post-author-pic
    Thomas H
    12-14-2017

Awesome!  Congrats, Reid!

• post-author-pic
    Kenneth A
    12-14-2017

Good job, Reid!

• post-author-pic
    Fernando M
    12-14-2017

That's a great score! Congrats, Reid!

• post-author-pic
    Benny K
    02-17-2018

Congratz!

may i know if the docs.ansible.com is accesible during exam ?

• post-author-pic
    Reid W
    03-06-2018

@bennykusman  The documentation you need will be provided.

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More