Passed AWS CSA Assoc

I jam through the course in 4 days  with Linuxacademy, barely passed it above 72%.  I haven't taking a cert or back in school study format since 2001.   I mainly rely on my past IT domain experience, free tier and linuxacademy course/labs/quize/exam/reading materials, as I don't have any existing company/clients with AWS production environment.    I'm taking this course so I can market myself to clients with AWS footprints or planning to be on cloud.  

If you're in my boat, I recommend don't to rush it,  take 2-4 weeks to really prepare, 2-3 hours a day instead of 8-10 hour study days.  Conception retention isn't as good.  During study 4 days, I failed on the first final practice test on linuxacademy course, don't want to throw away $150 and wait 2 more weeks for retake.  Then I went back to orion papers and clicked on every essentials, pointers, and how those relates to exam questions, read white papers. Topics linuxacademy is about 95% spot on, but the actual testing questions throws some twists added options, or some really not covered like elistic ip charge or opswork topic.  But you only need 70% to guarantee a pass as I found out, some can go as lows  68% I'm guessing. 

e.g. For bastion host, they'll throw in windows destop instead of linux, but same idea.  S3 storage encryption at rest policy from customer, select  3 out of 7.  sse, customer own keys, ssl at transit, s3 policy, etc.  Throws you off if you dont know the in/out security options in S3 and definition of at rest encryption.

Within 80 min, I finished it in 35 minutes for 60 questions.  You have to put in the time and get your mind back test oriented state, deductive reasoning, connecting the keywords from selections to the questions.  Good luck with next hopeful to pass AWS.  This is not a brain dump or memorization test, you actually need to get familiar with AWS service, and it's in/out concepts/definitions/rule s.  

Now that I get my associate cert, I hope to land a client with AWS and maybe go for the Pro when the time comes, or go for the dev track.  Big thanks to Linuxacademy on creative follow along course/labs. 

• post-author-pic
    Thomas H
    05-17-2017

Woohoo!  Congrats, Yao.  As you noted, I would not recomend anyone cram for the test in four days - but well done nonetheless. 

• post-author-pic
    Tony R
    05-17-2017

Well done Yao!

• post-author-pic
    Phil Z
    05-17-2017

Congrats, Yao! 

• post-author-pic
    Doug V
    05-17-2017

A pass is a pass, Yao! Like you noted, it's not at all uncommon for students to fail an exam the first time out, even if they are very well prepared, if they have been out of the testing mindset for a while.  That was certainly the case for me. Thanks for sharing your story!

• post-author-pic
    David C
    05-17-2017

Congrats, Yao!

• post-author-pic
    Treva W
    05-17-2017

Thanks for sharing Yao, & congratulations!

• post-author-pic
    Elle K
    05-17-2017

Congratulations, Yao! Thank you for sharing your experience and study suggestions. :D

• post-author-pic
    Sean G
    05-17-2017

Congrats! Great write up!

• post-author-pic
    Amy M
    05-17-2017

Nice job!

• post-author-pic
    Emily M
    05-17-2017

Congratulations, Yao, that's great! 

• post-author-pic
    Brandon M
    05-17-2017

Great work! Thanks so much for sharing your story, and best of luck to you!

• post-author-pic
    Terrence C
    05-17-2017

Thanks for the details and congratulations on your success!

• post-author-pic
    Travis T
    05-17-2017

Congrats Yao!

• post-author-pic
    Anthony J
    05-17-2017

This is fantastic! Great work on your studies! Keep it up!

I'd love to endorse/recommend you on Linkedin if you want. All you have to do is add me a connection, add Linux Academy as your school. Once you do this post a picture of your cert about passing in your feed and ref me within the original post. Once I see this I'll be able to recommend you for your hard work on your LinkedIn profile.

Thanks,

Anthony

Founder/CEO LinuxAcademy.com | CloudAssessments.com

• post-author-pic
    Hunter F
    05-17-2017

Congratulations! 

• post-author-pic
    Kevin J
    05-20-2017

Well done.

• post-author-pic
    Manisha S
    05-21-2017

Congrats yao! Thanks for sharing your experience.

• post-author-pic
    Shahan K
    05-22-2017

Nice post on your experiences with the exam! Congratulations on the pass!

• post-author-pic
    Shirley M
    05-22-2017

Great post on your experience and way to go for passing this!

• post-author-pic
    Justin O
    05-22-2017

Thank you so much for the time you have taken to write the information. Congrats on your achievement.

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More