My first professional cert

Linux Academy was not my sole source of study material, but they played a significant role in helping me pass this exam. At the beginning of this year, I was desperately trying to move from a sysadmin role into the DevOps space, but lack of knowledge and personal development was holding me back. I'd stagnated in my previous positions.

I spent as much time as I could manage on Linux Academy, studying for my CSA, as well as learning other DevOps tools so I could become progressively more informed as I ground through interview after interview. Eventually, I found a company that appreciate the skills I'd picked up here (even without my cert), as well as my resourcefulness and troubleshooting approach. In May, I landed a job with an AWS Advanced Consulting partner, which pushed me to finish studying for my CSA. As of Sept 30th, I have my Solutions Architect cert, and I plan on pursuing the remaining 4 AWS certs.

My job doesn't suck anymore. I like what I do, I'm challenged, I'm paid well, and I'm valued by my employer. Keep working, keep studying, and keep improving yourself. Even when it's hard. I have ADHD - this wasn't easy - but it was absolutely worth it.
  • post-author-pic
    Matt M
    10-04-2016

Congratulations! I'm in a similar position. Sysadmin trying to move to DevOps and I'm studying for my CSA. I landed a job at a web solutions company for all the same reasons. Also have ADHD. How funny. I wish you the best.

• post-author-pic
    Danny B
    10-04-2016

Great story! You've worked had, and it's paid off for you. Cheers!

• post-author-pic
    Juliet S
    10-04-2016

@ Matt - Awesome! It may be a struggle to focus, especially on something like a dry tutorial...I learn so much more easily and quickly when I'm solving interesting problems, but unfortunately haven't found way to construct artificial problems to keep myself going. But since I landed this gig, I've learned SO much because I was just thrown into the thick of things. I'm going to keep plowing through Linux Academy courses to fill in the gaps my job doesn't cover so I can continue with the certification path.

• post-author-pic
    Jonathan J
    10-04-2016

Congrats Juliet!! As a fellow member of Team ADHD, I know how difficut E-Learning can be. Awesome work! Do you have any focus/study tips for others who suffer from the same?

• post-author-pic
    Terrence C
    10-04-2016

Way to go - congrats!

• post-author-pic
    Kumar V
    10-04-2016

Juliet - your story is Inspirational, congratulations.

• post-author-pic
    Hunter F
    10-04-2016

Congratulations!

• post-author-pic
    Rilindo F
    10-04-2016

Congrats!

• post-author-pic
    Christophe L
    10-04-2016

This is fantastic. Congratulations, Juliet, on your accomplishment, and thank you for sharing with us!

• post-author-pic
    Juliet S
    10-04-2016

@Jonathan - for me, eating well (I try to minimize carbohydrate intake, as sugar makes me feel foggy and tired), getting as much rest as I can, and various supplements helped. That, and just doing as much as you can each day. Don't tear yourself apart for not dedicating 3 straight hours to straight tutorial work. Just try to do *something* each day, and you'll eventually get there. Maybe not as fast as your counterparts, but you will get there. I had good days where I felt like I made huge progress, and I had bad days where I couldn't even start a video...but I didn't give up.

I was working graveyard shift in a terrible job at the time, and I wasn't making enough money to survive...I knew if I didn't change something, I'd be stuck in crap jobs forever. If you're in a crappy situation too, let that motivate you as much as possible. I also had my son to think of, so maybe it's worth doing for someone you care about. Regardless of how you stay motivated, focused, and moving forward - JUST KEEP GOING.

• post-author-pic
    Colette W
    10-04-2016

Congratulations on your hard work. Glad it paid off!

• post-author-pic
    Sean G
    10-04-2016

Congrats Juliet!

• post-author-pic
    Thomas H
    10-05-2016

Awesome job, Juliet!

• post-author-pic
    Elle K
    10-05-2016

Congratulations, Juliet! Thank you for sharing your experiences and motivation.

• post-author-pic
    David S
    10-05-2016

Congrats!

• post-author-pic
    J M
    10-05-2016

'I had good days where I felt like I made huge progress, and I had bad days where I couldn't even start a video...but I didn't give up.' Thanks

• post-author-pic
    James M
    10-05-2016

Well done!

• post-author-pic
    Matt M
    10-11-2016

@Juliet, I'm inspired by your story. Thanks for sharing. I'm also finding that sugar makes me lethargic and 'foggy.' I do a lot more silent trance-like staring out the window when I am digesting something high in sugar or carbs. What's funny is about a month ago I started consciously avoiding sugar like it's poison. Not only did I feel better, sleep better, and was able to retain more of what I learned, I also lost about 10 lbs. I'm going to school full time to get my Bachelor's in Software Development in addition to going through the CSA course which my work is requiring me to complete.

• post-author-pic
    Elio P
    10-11-2016

Awesome!!! keep going, remember the sky is the limit.

• post-author-pic
    Oleg D
    04-15-2017

Good story and gratz!

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More