Currently listening to: [Audiobook] Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
1. What do you do at Linux Academy?
Serverless Course Author — I make educational content about serverless topics. Right now, mostly AWS. I started September 5, 2017.
2. Of all cloud technologies to be fluent in, why AWS?
It’s the industry leader right now and has the newest exciting services to play around with and learn/teach
3. What did you do before this?
I got a BA in Philosophy and Politics from Whitman College and then spent a few years working in tech, most recently as a Data Engineer.
4. What do you like most about what you do?
I get to learn a bunch of new things every day and then help other people learn them too!
5. What’s your favorite part of working at Linux Academy?
Hearing from the students we help learn new things and how it impacts their lives and careers.
6. What do you like to do in your free time?
I take my dog out for walks and play video games, but mostly I read and listen to audiobooks a lot. https://fernandomc.com/reading-list/
7. Favorite food
Pan de yuca
8. Favorite quote and why?
“Just relax” – My dad as I was trying to keep a kiwi tree from falling on his head.
9. What’s something you’re really excited about right now (not work related)?
I’m waiting for Doors of Stone by Patrick Rothfuss to come out.
10. What do you like to collect?
11. If you could have any superpower, what would it be, and why?
12. You’re a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?
A crayon eraser because I always draw over the lines.
13. Teach us something we may not know in 10 sentences or less.
To more effectively form good habits you can do a few simple things:
- Set a goal you want to reach
- Pick a simple action to work toward that goal that you can do daily
- Plan when and where you will consistently do that action — make a specific time and place, add it to your calendar
- When you encounter the time and place, do the action
It’s important to consistently do the action in the same context whenever possible so that the context itself helps trigger you to take the action. It can also be helpful to set easier, simpler actions to begin with while the context forms and habit strengthens.
14. If you could interview one person (dead or alive), who would it be?
15. What’s one thing on your bucket list?
To plant a garden.
16. What were a few of the highlights for going to AWS re:Invent this year?
Meeting Jeff Barr, the Cloud9 team, and Andy Jassy
17. After hearing all the AWS announcements, what are a few that you’re most excited for and why?
Serverless Aurora! I want to try it out – the serverless data layer is still evolving a lot and this might be a big step forward.
18. Give us a quick glimpse on your latest course (who and why should anybody take it)!
Fullstack Serverless Applications on AWS is a great primer for anyone who wants to build a serverless application on AWS. Really it’s a great starter course for anyone wanting to learn how to build their own projects on AWS.