The Linux Academy product team is a huge reason we are the #1 learn-by-doing multicloud training platform. They continuously listen to our students’ feedback and to make changes you ask to see. You can check out updates to our business platform here
and below, meet Alex, one of our Product Designers, and see why he loves working at Linux Academy!
Currently listening to:
The Dollop (Podcast).
1. What is your role at Linux Academy?
2. What did you do before this?
I’m fresh out of the Rochester Institute of Technology where I studied New Media Design.
3. What do you like most about what you do?
Problem-solving. I think it’s a misnomer to say most artists aren’t analytical. UX especially is a process that takes a lot of practical problem solving and analysis, and it’s partly why I enjoy it so much.
4. What’s your favorite part of working at Linux Academy?
I always was drawn to education, because I want my job to have a net positive on others’ lives.
5. What has been your favorite project you’ve done at Linux Academy?
There’s so many, it’s hard to pick a favorite!
6. How do you live out one of our core 5 missions?
My mission as a product designer is to push to try and make the site as easy to use as possible. That helps students achieve their highest potential.
7. What are you currently learning? Game dev, Japanese, and linear algebra because I didn’t pay attention during AP Calc. I was one of those “When am I ever going to use this?” guys – which was fair – because I have a BFA (“fake” art degree, according to Alex), but now I’m trying to do more things with computers, and it turns out computers use a lot of numbers.
8. What do you like to do in your free time?
I like programming in Rust and making music.
9. Favorite food
I don’t have a single favorite, but I like Mediterranean food.
10. Favorite quote and why?
“All that is real in human history becomes irrational in the process of time.” – Friedrich Engels
It’s always applicable to modern events; a timeless quote.
11. What’s something you’re really excited about right now?
The game Cyberpunk 2077 looks neat.
12. What do you like to collect?
I collect computers and computer hardware. But not intentionally. It just happens.
13. If you could have any superpower, what would it be, and why?
If I had anything too cool like flying, I’m certain I’d get arrested for disturbing the peace. I might just opt for something a little more subtle, like the ability to instantly chill a can of soda without using ice.
14. You’re a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?
Hm, I don’t know, red-orange? I just like the color.
15. Teach us something we may not know in 10 sentences or less.
Here’s a short but sweet one: you can avoid paying student loans by faking your death.
16. What’s one thing on your bucket list?
Visit another country. (I’ve been to Canada, but that doesn’t count since it’s so close).
Stay tuned for another installment of this series, and let us know what other departments you’re interested in learning about in our community!