To help you get started with our Cloud Playground feature, we’re putting together a series of guides for various skill levels. This guide is the first in the series and is for complete IT beginners with no prior experience needed.
- Started an Ubuntu server
- Used basic Linux commands on that server
- Installed and played the iconic snake game on the server
All of this will be using our resources, and at no additional cost to you — it is included in your paid membership! If you don’t have an account yet, sign up for a 7-day free trial!
Step 1 – Create Your First Server
Step 2 – Log into the server
Step 3 – Typing your first commands
ls -l -h
- The user and group that own the file or directory
- The size this file or directory takes up on disk
- When the file or directory was last edited
- and more
Step 4 – Downloading files and gaining administrative access
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxacademy/content-lpi-linux-essentials/master/cicero_disputations.txt -o cicero_disputations.txt
sudo curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxacademy/content-lpi-linux-essentials/master/cicero_disputations.txt -o cicero_disputations.txt
Step 5 – Viewing documents
Step 6 – Installing the Snake game and playing it
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nsnake
- Press enter or space on your keyboard to start the game
- Use your keyboard arrows to control the snake
- Press the letter q on your keyboard to quit the game.
Recommendations for next steps:
- Take your learning further with the
- Stay tuned for guide #2 where we will walk through a more advanced scenario.