Here at Linux Academy, we not only want to help you learn but also to see what you can do with your knowledge! That’s why we are introducing the Cloud Playground Challenge. This challenge is a way to show your skills while gaining between 2,000 to 10,000 gems to spend on special swag from our Swag Store!
So, what’s the challenge? We want to see you create your own Cloud Playground Project! It can be over whatever you want, as we want to see what interests you! But there is a catch. No matter what it is you create, you must use the Linux Academy Cloud Playground. A few examples of possible projects are:
- Creating your own VPN
- Automating EC2
- Setting up an active directory with Linux
- Using Terraform on Cloud Playground servers to deploy resources in Cloud Playground Cloud Sandboxes.
- Building and hosting a real-world application on Apache Mesos.
For a project to be considered, there are a few rules that you must follow.
- Participants must use the Linux Academy Cloud Playground resources to create their project.
- The project must include a step-by-step walkthrough of how to complete the project:
- Clear, concise code that can be copy and pasted for testing/use
- All commands present from start to finish
- Clear, readable screen captures of the process
- Screenshots to demonstrate work as par to the walk thru
- The more creative and in-depth the project, the more gems you will receive.
- The more specific to real world “projects” one might encounter in a professional environment, the bigger the gem reward.
- Projects can be based on criteria covered in Linux Academy courses but cannot reiterate or use any course material.
- The project must apply to real-world scenarios.
- Must follow the Linux Academy Terms of Service. Cannot have bitcoin-related projects.
- We are not looking for tutorials but actual building projects from start to finish.
- Must use 100% Cloud Playground start to finish
Ways to Gain Extra Gems
Besides creativity, we are offering extra gems for above-and-beyond work.
Things that will increase the Gem Reward:
- Complex real-world projects one might encounter while working in a professional career
- Video clips
Once you’ve completed your project, submit it to our google form, which you can find HERE!
While working on your projects, we encourage you to talk with your fellow students and our CEO Anthony James! Linux Academy has a specific Slack channel created specifically for this challenge called #cloudplayground.
We can’t wait to see what you create!
Some ideas to help you get started:
- Anything related to HashiCorp products (Vault/Nomad)
- Anything related to SpaceWalk
- Systems Manager on AWS Projects
- Building out active director on Windows server and connecting Linux servers
- AWS EKS Projects
- AWS EKS Deployment pipeline
- AWS Sagemaker projects
- Anything on AWS/Google Cloud
- Monitoring with Nagios or Grafana
- Real world Ansible Deployment projects
- Analyze VPC Flow Log using ElasticSearch and Kibana
- Deploying Kubernetes on AWS with KOPS
- Machine Learning With Tensorflow on Servers
- Machine Learning with Google Cloud or AWS
- Your own awesome ideas here!
Our Current Port Range
When does the Cloud Playground Challenge end?
As of now it is on-going as long as there are still submissions we will continue to keep it going.
How many projects can I build to earn gems?
There is no limit to the number of projects you can submit for your chance to win gems. If the projects are approved and added to the platform you will get gems.